SafeWork NSW is investigating whether a ride at the centre of a potentially dangerous incident at Sydney’s Royal Easter Show should be closed for the remainder of the event.
- A ride was started while a young boy without a harness was on board
- The Fair Trading Minster says she has zero tolerance for operators who do not meet safety standards
- Show organisers say the ride has been closed pending an investigation
Show organisers have already launched their own investigation into how a young boy was left unrestrained on the Free Fall ride on Sunday.
A photograph shared on social media showed a boy sitting without a harness on a children’s ride, which had lifted off the ground.
The three other children on the ride were wearing harnesses.
Sydney woman Eva Grace, who shared the picture on her Facebook account, said staff failed to put the harness down before the ride started.
She said onlookers “had to scream” in order to get the attention of a staff member, who stopped the ride.
On Sunday night, a statement was posted on the Royal Easter Show’s social media accounts saying the ride had been shut down pending an investigation.
“The safety systems of the ride functioned well to prevent any injury occurring and the ride will not operate again until a full investigation has been approved by specialist engineers,” it said.
The Royal Easter Show has been contacted for comment.
On Monday, Fair Trading Minister Eleni Petinos said SafeWork NSW had been instructed to explore whether the Free Fall ride should remain closed for the remainder of the 2022 show.
Ms Petinos said she had a zero-tolerance approach to any operator which failed to provide the highest safety standards.
“I can confirm that I have instructed SafeWork NSW to explore shutting the Free Fall ride for the remainder of the 2022 Sydney Royal Easter Show if patrons’ safety cannot be guaranteed,” she said.
“The ride has been closed pending investigation.
“Safety is my number one priority and any operator who fails to provide the highest level of safety standards should face severe consequences, and that is why I’ve instructed SafeWork NSW to explore all available avenues.”