Anti-duck hunting activists launched a last-minute bid to halt Victoria’s season ahead of the first weekend for shooters.
The Coalition Against Duck Hunting launched a court case in the Federal Court of Australia on Friday afternoon in a bid to halt the season.
Activist Jo Soren argued for an injunction to stop shooters heading to wetlands across the state for what she said was traditionally was the most “intense, dangerous times for all birds”.
She argued other bird species were shot during the season and if they weren’t shot many were traumatised and not breeding and there was habitat loss due from pollution and people walking through the wetlands.
“It is not sustainable and it’s highly dangerous this weekend which is why it really is urgent,” Ms Soren said.
But lawyer Dr Ian Freckelton QC argued the application for an injunction has “no basis whatsoever” and the interim injunction should not be granted.
After a brief adjournment Justice Helen Rofe dismissed the application.
The season opened earlier this week and Premier Dan Andrews was blasted for his “offensive” comment comparing hunting to golf.
“I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea,” he said.
“Some of us play golf like me, some of us were at the footy last night, some of us go shooting. I’m not about telling people what should constitute their recreational activities.”