The state and federal governments have announced a financial support package of $558.5 million for small businesses, farmers, not for profit organisations and sporting and community clubs devastated by the flood emergency across south-east Queensland.
The package has been jointly funded with the Queensland government following an agreement between Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
The following grants will be made available:
- Up to $75,000 for primary producers
- Up to $50,000 for small businesses and not for profit organisations
- $20,000 for sporting and community clubs
Nineteen local government areas (LGAs) across south-east Queensland will also receive $1 million to assist urgent clean-up efforts.
Eleventh victim found in floodwaters
The body of a woman was recovered in water at Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast this morning, bringing the state’s death toll from the flooding disaster to 11.
Police had been searching extensively for a 42-year-old woman missing in floodwaters at Mudgeeraba since Tuesday. She was last seen on Sunday.
Forensic examination and analysis will be required to confirm the woman’s identity with police to prepare a report for the coroner.
Police said they continue to search for one person who went missing during the state’s severe flooding and have not been seen since.
Recovery package designed to help communities to rebuild
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said this was the first phase of financial support and was in addition to the $1,000 disaster relief payment and 13-weeek income replacement scheme announced earlier this week.
The LGAs eligible to apply for financial support include:
- Fraser Coast
- Gold Coast
- Lockyer Valley
- Moreton Bay
- North Burnett
- Scenic Rim
- South Burnett
- Southern Downs
- Sunshine Coast
The recovery package has been announced in a bid to help communities rebuild as flood water continue to recede across the south-east.
It comes as more than 13,000 volunteers have taken to Brisbane’s suburbs to bolster the major clean-up effort as part of the Brisbane City Council’s “Mud Army 2.0” operation.
Last week, Ms Palaszczuk estimated the damage bill across south-east Queensland could reach up to $1 billion.
Ms Palaszczuk said it was critical Queensland communities get back on their feet, particularly after being hit by the COVID-19 pandemic and ex-tropical cyclone Seth two months ago.
“Many small businesses and not-for-profits are experiencing loss of infrastructure, equipment, stock and trading, and primary producers are again facing losses to crops, equipment and infrastructure,” she said.
“We are in this together.”
She said the Queensland government will also reimburse councils and agencies across the 19 impacted LGAs for the costs of sandbags and the restoration of roads and bridges.
You can apply for a flood relief grant here.
More storms forecast later today and tomorrow
Deputy Premier Steven Miles welcomed the support.
“This is the first round of support while we continue to assess the damage and determine what form future rounds of support will take,” he said.
Mr Miles said the BOM has predicted more thunderstorms for the northern areas of south-east Queensland, extending from Rockhampton to the Fraser Coast this afternoon.
He said these thunderstorms could extend further across the south-east tomorrow, particularly late in the afternoon.
He said while electricity has been reconnected in 95 per cent of homes, 9,500 households remain without power.
They said looting continues to be an issue in the Brisbane suburb of Milton and the Ipswich suburb of Goodna, with some alleged offenders being rearrested.
The number of people in evacuation centres across the south-east now numbers 178, down from 266 yesterday.